[Arm-dev] OT: hard drive vs SSD

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Mar 2 16:37:06 UTC 2017

On 03/02/2017 11:26 AM, Kent Dahlgren wrote:
> I agree that both would probably work for two years.
>
> The big difference between enterprise SSDs and consumer one is write endurance.
>
> If you are using this for let's say an embedded web server, the number of writes to the SSD
> will be minimal and there wouldn't be much difference in terms of reliability between the
> two classes of drives.
>
> If you are building something to log data, you may want to consider an enterprise class SSD.

Thanks.  My current mailserver has been running since 10/2014 on a 320Gb
notebook HD I pulled from a Lenovo (referbed notebook).  I believe it
has been doing just fine.  No errors that I have seen in the logwatch email.

Now I am building this new mailserver, and looking at what drives I have
sitting on my workbench beyond the 320GB drive I pulled from ANOTHER
Lenovo that I am testing with...