[Arm-dev] Any type of light Desktop Environment on Arm Centos7+RPi3

Fabian Arrotin arrfab at centos.org
Sat Mar 4 10:20:52 UTC 2017

On 03/03/17 16:49, Hamid Safe wrote:
> Hello all,
> I was wondering if there is a method to provide a "basic" graphical env
> on Centos7 arm. This is in line with the recent upstream Fedora
> publishing all types with their ver:25. also the fact that Raspbian now
> released a stable graphical env that works out of the box with all the
> goodies.
> My tries no matter what type of graphical env chosen have failed with
> dependencies not met. I have already set up the epel for arm. I know
> that you have gone a long way preparing the Centos7 minimal for the arm
> and it is already awesome, however having a graphical skin particularly
> in arm boards sometimes is a must-have requirement.
> Thanks in advance

Hi,

I don't think someone/anyone really spent time investigating the whole
chain for a desktop environment on CentOS 7 armhfp. I've myself never
tried even to just see if that would work. The initial goal was to have
"minimal" working, as most users are probably targeting such system. If
now some people would like to spend time investigating what would be
needed, what's still to be built, etc, that can "become a thing" :-)

gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab