[Arm-dev] kernel 4.11.0-22.el7.2.aarch64 does not boot on ThunderX

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Tue Oct 10 22:55:46 UTC 2017

On 10/10/2017 03:49 PM, Itaru Kitayama wrote:
> Hi Jim, all,
>
> Red Hat says BIOS T43 is a production release at the moment, we're on
> the same version,
> so I exclude that for now.
>
> Upstream kernel, v4.13 configured in using config-4.5.0.25.el7.aarch64
> boots on the same
> HW. Have you touched the config when changing the kernel onto 4.11?

Yes, the config changed between 4.5 and 4.11. You can see the config
here ->
https://git.centos.org/blob/sig-altarch!kernel.git/sig-altarch7-aarch64/SOURCES!kernel-alt-4.11.0-aarch64.config

It is the upstream (RedHat provided) config with no modifications.

> I think still, if you don't mind sharing the exact HW used for the
> CentOS 7 Altarch validations,
> would be greatly helpful to narrow down this issue.

Unfortunately I cannot. Much of the hardware is provided under NDA.

> Itaru
>
> On 10/11/17 1:41 AM, Jim Perrin wrote:
>>
>> On 10/10/2017 01:30 AM, Itaru Kitayama wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> In our attempt upgrading from 4.5.0-25.el7.aarch64 to the 4.11-based
>>> kernel
>>> we see the latter does not boot on ThunderX.
>>>
>>> Here's the HW details:
>>>
>>> http://b2b.gigabyte.com/ARM-Server/R150-T62-rev-100#support-manual
>>>
>>> The BIOS release is T43. (According Red Hat, they've been testing fine
>>> their
>>> 1 socket GIGABYTE server with their RHEL 7 kernels.)
>>>
>> This is usually down to firmware issues, but we don't test every
>> possible hardware/firmware variation to validate.
>>
>>> I am wondering what ThunderX platform CentOS has been using for testing,
>>> and
>>> the list happens to have the above HW.
>>>
>>> The boot process seems to be stuck as soon as system prints our EFI stub
>>> messages.
>>> No messages from the kernel.
>>>
>>> Is the CentOS Alt architecture group going to release a 4.12 or .13
>>> kernel soon?
>> We'll likely match what RH does for their aarch64/arm64 support.

Jim Perrin