[Arm-dev] Kernel ?

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Sep 1 00:49:21 UTC 2017

On 08/31/2017 07:50 PM, Jacco Ligthart wrote:
> On 09/01/17 00:30, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

>>> Welcome to OSS ! "submit patch" [TM] :-)
>> To do that I would have to:
>>
>> Know what files are related to a kernel
>> Know how to identify the oldest kernel, or rather which kernels are
>> the older of N kernels.
>> Know how to, in a script, parameterize the selection of a kernel and
>> all its files
>>
>> And I come up empty on all the above.  I can write simple scripts, and
>> Professor Goggle is good at giving me short lessons to, at times,
>> expand my horizons.
>>
>> But this is not something I am going to tackle.  I will just put up
>> with things as they are.
> I guess it is a bit easier than that, we have a package manager for this!
>
> find the installed kernel packages and remove the ones you don't want
> any more. If you always want only x kernels installed, have a look at
> "installonly_limit" in yum.conf
>
> Not sure which kernel we're talking about, but if this is the raspberry
> rpm, there used to be a 'post' script in the rpm what makes a initrd
> file after install. these initrd things are not used during boot (on a
> raspberry at least). Removing those will also save you ~ 25M per kernel
> version.
> better yet, adjust the spec file to not make them :)

Jacco,

You may remember that I am the Cubieboard guy from back when I was using
RSEL6.  :)

On the Cubieboard Centos7 image, that can be altered once installed for
other uboots (but you have to get the other uboots from an existing
install), kernels are easier than on RPi.  Or at least I seem to recall
a message about this.

Perhaps by Centos8, 64 bit ARM will be affordable.

Bob