[Arm-dev] Lies! Doesn't work on Raspberry Pi 3

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Sep 8 12:07:37 UTC 2017

On 09/01/2017 10:27 PM, Binary Buddha wrote:
> ifconfig -a I get the normal expected output for eth0 and lo "UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST”. But, I never receive a DHCP address. No packet info because it’s not connecting. As mentioned before, not even the lights on the ethernet port blink.
>
> I’m on the RPi 3 Model B V1.2. Is the version the same? Any chance you clean install with the same version of Centos that’s posted to see if it still works for you?

I have a RPi 3, Model B V 1.2 ,  Copyright Raspberry Pi 2015

I grabbed this image:

http://mirror.centos.org/altarch/7/isos/armhfp/CentOS-Userland-7-armv7hl-Minimal-1611-RaspberryPi3.img.xz

I put a San Disk 64GB Extreme Plus card into my CentOS-7 x86_64 laptop
card reader .. it showed up as /dev/mmcblk0 and I made sure I unmounted it.

I used this command to push the image to the card:

xzcat ./CentOS-Userland-7-armv7hl-Minimal-1611-RaspberryPi3.img.xz |
sudo dd of=/dev/mmcblk0 status=progress bs=8M

I then did this to make sure the dd finished:

sudo sync

I then wanted to go ahead and bump up the 'root partition' size to fill
the card, so I opened up the card using fdisk:

sudo fdisk /dev/mmcblk0

It shows this as the main Linux partition:

/dev/mmcblk0p3         2074624     6268927     2097152   83  Linux

I want to make the 3rd partition use all space .. so, I deleted
partition 3 (d command) and recreated it (n command, the primary (p) and
3rd partition (3)) starting at the same sector (2074624) ending at the
last sector on the card (124735487).  now it looks like this:

/dev/mmcblk0p3         2074624   124735487    61330432   83  Linux

So partition 3 went from 2 GB to 60 GB

Now I will use the w command to exit fdisk.

Took the card out of my laptop .. put it into the RPi 3

Hooked up NIC to my network and an HDMI monitor to the HDMI port and
turned it on to boot:

This is what appears on the console:

https://people.centos.org/hughesjr/rpi3-boot.jpg

(you can see that the NIC port turned on, 100Mbps, the lights are
working normally on the port)

Plugged in the keyboard .. logged on as root.

I have an IP address:

[root at centos-rpi3 ~]# ip a
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN qlen 1
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast
state UP qlen 1000
    link/ether b8:27:eb:ef:55:fd brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.0.41/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global dynamic eth0
       valid_lft 2589sec preferred_lft 2589sec
    inet6 ::ba27:ebff:feef:55fd/64 scope global mngtmpaddr dynamic
       valid_lft 3600sec preferred_lft 3600sec
    inet6 fe80::ba27:ebff:feef:55fd/64 scope link
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

So, the image works fine.

If you are not getting an ip address and if the lights are not working,
then:

1)  You have a network cable issue
2)  You have a hardware issue on either the NIC port on the RPi or the
NIC Port on your switch/hub/router.
3)  You have some kind of routing issue between your dhcp server and the
RPi3 where the packets can not traverse .. BUT, not likely, you said
that the lights don't work.
4)  You have a software issue, where your dhcp server does not recognize
the dhcp request from this device .. again, not likely if the lights are
not working.

I then ran the command:  resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p3

(to resize my root partition that I grew with fdisk from my laptop)

rebooted

Everything works fine.

SO .. the image does work with RPi3 and a standard gbit netgear hub and
my normal internet provider's gbit router as the dhcp server.

I do think that you said the lights are not working .. if that is the
case, then there is LIKELY something wrong with something physical
between the two ports or the cable.  I suppose it could also be a power
supply issue for the unit.

Can you use a different OS image on a different SDCARD to boot and get
connectivity with the same setup?

Did you check the sha256sum of your image before you burned it?

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes