[Arm-dev] Kernel problems on APM X-Gene

Gordan Bobic gordan at redsleeve.org
Fri Sep 22 10:59:00 UTC 2017

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 11:54 AM, Jeremiah Rothschild <jeremiah at franz.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 11:39:19AM +0100, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> > FWIW, I am running my own mainline LT 4.9.x kernel, and don't need
> acpi=off.
>
> Interesting.
>
> For the record, I don't mind running with acpi=off, but it's very weird to
> me that new kernels suddenly stopped working without it.
>

>From the fact that I maintain my own kernel builds, you may infer how much
faith I put in distro supplied kernels (any distro, not singling any
specific distro out).

> > If you are interested, I'm more than happy to share my src.rpm for 4.9.x,
> > but won't be able to get to it before tomorrow morning as the machine was
> > recently mothballed.
>
> Thanks. I actually need to test with as new of a version as I can because I
> have been experiencing an occasional "page allocation failure" kernel
> panic.
> No idea if/when that was fixed but I figure the newest version is my best
> hope.

I've been on my own 4.9.x more or less since I got the machine, it was in
24/7 use, and I never experienced that issue. So it may be worth a
cross-check with the kernel that I'm running to see whether the fault
follows your machine or whether it is kernel dependent.