[Arm-dev] Kernel problems on APM X-Gene

Fri Sep 22 16:02:59 UTC 2017
Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org>

On 09/22/2017 03:34 AM, Jeremiah Rothschild wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 08:14:03AM +0100, Gordan Bobic wrote:
>> Do you have any PCIe cards in yours?
>
> Actually, no.
>
>> What is DT mode?
>>
>> >From my understanding of the thread so far, both Jeremiah and I are running
>> Tianocore UEFI firmware, chain loaded from u-boot.
>
> That's right. I originally miscommented that I was not running UEFI then
> later followed up that I was.

Keep in mind that this doesn't mean the UEFI being used is getting the
right EFI variables populated on its journey through uboot to a running
system. Not all UEFI is equal.

> It seems fairly clear to me that someone introduced an ACPI related bug in
> 4.5.0-25 and onwards. My system was always fine and always able to boot
> without adding 'acpi=off' until that version.

The OS is built to expect ACPI. That reliance will increase as it
progresses. As has been suggested previously, you should really consider
moving to a supported boot platform rather than chainloading. There are
a number of improvements in the new official AMI firmwares that the
distro takes advantage of.

I don't see this as an ACPI bug, but rather a fix that closes bugs you
were using as features until the more recent kernels.

--
Jim Perrin