[Arm-dev] wireless mac address

Fabian Arrotin arrfab at centos.org
Tue Apr 3 07:37:16 UTC 2018

On 02/04/18 04:19, cjvijf at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I don't know if this is a dev issue/problem,  but I bought 2 RPI 3 about
> a year ago, and installed centos on one (the other one I haven't even
> used yet).
>
> It seems the Mac address changes every reboot? (into something 'random',
> because the first 2 numbers indicate the manufacturer, right?
>
> Is this a known issue?  is it an OS or hardware issue?
>

> thanks,
>

> Ron

Something I discovered when we were looking at WiFi support for the RPI3
: there is one file "controlling" the needed firmware for it :
/usr/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt

If you look at that file, we decided to comment the macaddress line, to
avoid all the provisioned RPI3 boards to suddenly uses the same static
mac address everywhere.
So the file (as present in the rpi image we provided) is looking like
this :
#macaddr=00:90:4c:c5:12:38

That can probably explain what you're seeing ?

gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab