[Arm-dev] Request for the Xfce desktop

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 13:54:46 UTC 2018

On 1 August 2018 at 09:46, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
> Pablo,
>
> Thanks!  I will do test install on the gnome image.  If I goes without an
> error, I will do a build off minimal and try with that.
>
> And interesting about Xfce and Redhat.  They provide it for all Fedora
> builds.  Or at least x64 and armv7!

You are misinterpreting what Red Hat provides in Fedora. Red Hat
sponsors Fedora which has community members build, develop and produce
packages for an OS. Fedora is not a product of Red Hat and has many
packages which are not in RHEL for many reasons. The packages in
Fedora for XFCE are community driven versus ones that have a Red Hat
developer paid full time to work on.

Red Hat does pull in packages from Fedora to make various versions of
RHEL, but they are ones that they feel are what paying customers want
and are willing to pay for long term support for.

> On 08/01/2018 09:42 AM, Pablo Sebastián Greco wrote:
>
> Robert, xfce is not provided by RedHat, so we don't have it in CentOS, but
> it is actually built by epel.
> So if you enable epel, you should be able to install xfce.
>
> I've never tested it, so if you do, please report back :-).
>
> Thanks.
> Pablo.
>
> El 1/8/18 a las 10:23, Robert Moskowitz escribió:
>
> I am a proponent of Xfce, especially for armv7 boards.  I got introduced to
> Xfce with Fedora-arm 19 (or was it 18 or even 17?).
>
> I did the Gnome image install, dropped to runlevel 3, installed vncserver,
> and do get the gnome desktop with my notebook taking most of the performance
> hit.
>
> But having at least the option of installing the minimal image then doing a
> group install "Xfce Desktop" would be great.
>
> BTW, I did 'yum list >y.lst' and 'grep -i xfce y.lst' and came up empty
> handed. Is Xfce even built for arm?
>
> thanks

Stephen J Smoogen.