[Arm-dev] Cubieboard5 performance

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Aug 5 10:16:47 UTC 2018

Pable,

Thanks for responding.

On 08/05/2018 05:46 AM, Pablo Sebastián Greco wrote:

> Robert, cubieboard5 (AKA Cubietruck Plus) has an A83T SoC, which only
> got multicore for kernel 4.18 (still not relased).
> I made a 4.17 version with smp support backported and you can find it
> here
> (https://armv7.dev.centos.org/repodir/community-kernel-latest/kernel/4.17.6-200.el7/).
> Also cubietruck plus may not have HDMI support yet (I got a patch from
> another user in #centos-arm and seems to be working).

Using it as a server on if I need a local connection I use the serial
console via a TTL/USB converter.  Of course I would have to get the
pin-out for this board.

> Finally, the main thing about that board (about that SoC actually), is
> that SATA is not native, it is an integrated SATA-USB, so performance
> may be an issue.

Ouch. this is for a mail server that has extensive disk I/O.  So forget
this board.

> Personally I love the BananaPi M2Ultra, 2G RAM, 4 Cores and native
> SATA. The only problem is that SATA support is not integrated yet in
> any kernel, so it needs external patches.

Any timing on delivering the support mainline?

> Pablo.
>
> P.S: this is a blog post I made a few months ago
> https://blog.centos.org/2018/05/testing-armhfp-devices/ , BananaPi M3
> is practically the same as Cubieboard5.

I will look at it.

> P.S 2: wrt any device with AllWinner SoC, you can check
> https://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort to know what to expect.

I use to follow it closely and did some testing for Hans when he was
running the Allwinner development.  I should go back and check in, so to
speak.

Of course if there is a quad core 64-bit ARM with sata under $100 that
runs at 5V; that would do nicely!

Bob