[Arm-dev] Boot Raspberry Pi image in KVM on CentOS 7

Brenton Earl

brent at exitstatusone.com
Tue Aug 21 19:53:43 UTC 2018

Hello,

I am trying to boot the Raspberry Pi image in qemu KVM on CentOS7.  I
converted the image to a qcow2 file system, extracted the /boot
directory and tried to boot.

I am using the following command:

$ sudo virt-install --name centos7_armhfp \
 --memory 4096  \
 --boot kernel=/var/lib/libvirt/armhfp-boot/boot/vmlinuz-4.14.28-
201.el7.centos.armv7hl,initrd=/var/lib/libvirt/armhfp-
boot/boot/initramfs-4.14.28-
201.el7.centos.armv7hl.img,kernel_args="console=ttyAMA0 rw
root=/dev/sda3" \
 --disk /var/lib/libvirt/images/CentOS-Userland-7-armv7hl-Generic-
Minimal-1708-guest.qcow2 \
 --import \
 --arch armv7l \
 --machine virt \
 --os-variant centos7.0

I get the following error:

Starting install...
ERROR    unsupported configuration: qemu-xhci not supported in this
QEMU binary
Domain installation does not appear to have been successful.
If it was, you can restart your domain by running:
  virsh --connect qemu:///system start centos7_armhfp
otherwise, please restart your installation.

I am following this tutorial that should technically work on all
architectures if modified to fit:

https://arrfab.net/posts/2017/Sep/29/using-centos-7-armhfp-vm-on-centos
-7-aarch64/

What am I doing wrong?  I searched the web a bit but found no
significant results.

I tried to boot with the generic and the pi images with the same error
output.  I feel like I am missing something simple because I am used to
using virt-manager instead of the command line to install virtual
machines.

Thanks,
--
Brenton Earl <brent at exitstatusone.com>