[Arm-dev] Boot Raspberry Pi image in KVM on CentOS 7

Gordan Bobic gordan at redsleeve.org
Wed Aug 22 13:36:03 UTC 2018

Short answer: No, you cannot run virtual ARM using KVM on physical x86.

Long answer: You typically need qemu emulator build specifically for the
hardware of which you are trying to run the image from as a lot of the time
the kernel isn't generic enough for a different board. Last I checked there
was no specific qemu r-pi emulator, but there may be one now.

I hardly ever use VMs these days, I use a custom build kernel (for 4KB
pages), and use containers instead if I only need to test/configure the
userspace part.