[Arm-dev] File system corruption

Stephan GUILLOUX stephan.guilloux at free.fr
Thu Dec 13 19:59:23 UTC 2018

On 13-Dec-18 18:16, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> You are likely to find that stress testing will kill most SD cards
> within a day or two. They simply aren't designed for small write
> workload. They are designed for large streaming writes (and they are
> fine for reads, obviously).
>
> "Endurance" models fare much better, but you will still kill then
> quickly with continuous small random writes.
Starting point was exactly this.
We saw FS corruption very lately, with very strange effects (especially
when you are used to only SATA drives).
One of them can be depicted like a ReadOnly FS not so ReadOnly ... Once
formatted, the SD was working fine for a while.

So, trying to narrow that down, mixing 3B and 3B+, with many devices,
many different HATS, many different stuff, it came to the stress test
and mount/copy/umount/fsck scenario, but yes, it took quite some time :-)

The stress test will help us to perform some kind of qualification, for
any new SD...