[Arm-dev] Issues with the 4.9.x kernel and pvrusb2 driver

Pablo Sebastián Greco pablo at fliagreco.com.ar
Sun Feb 4 15:32:10 UTC 2018

El 4/2/18 a las 12:15, Chris Szilagyi escribió:
> Pablo,
> Thank you for the feedback.
> The problem I have faced with applying the patch myself and compiling
> the module are errors like this when I plug in the device:
>
> Feb  3 13:11:48 bananapi kernel: pvrusb2: Unknown symbol
> __stack_chk_guard (err 0)
> Feb  3 13:11:48 bananapi kernel: pvrusb2: Unknown symbol
> __stack_chk_fail (err 0)
>
> Using insmod directly shows this:
> insmod: ERROR: could not insert module pvrusb2.ko: Unknown symbol in
> module

Are you building the whole kernel or just the module? Sounds like
different config, environment, etc...
> I must still be missing something here.
>
> One thing I had a tough time was finding the kernel source for what is
> used for these ARM releases.  I googled and ended up finding:
> http://buildlogs-seed.centos.org/c7.1708.exp.i386/kernel/20180105174048/4.9.75-204.el7.centos.x86_64/kernel-4.9.75-204.el7.centos.src.rpm,
> and used that one.  I figured the src.rpm there should work so that's
> what I ended up using to recompile just the pvrusb2 module, not sure
> if that would have anything to do with the problem.
That sounds like the right rpm, but you can also check here
(http://vault.centos.org/altarch/7.4.1708/experimental/Source/i386/Source/SPackages/kernel-4.9.75-204.el7.centos.src.rpm)

> I definitely have no problem filing a bug on bugzilla, I have a
> feeling they will say it's fixed in 4.14.  I'm not sure if the CentOS
> ARM branch will continue with the 4.9 kernel or go up to a newer one
> which would fix the problem entirely.  But for now if we are stuck
> with 4.9 I'm not sure how to proceed or if there's a way to get the
> patch applied for the next update.

I disagree, since both 4.4 and 4.9 are longterm, and regressions where
introduced in "point" releases.
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Chris

<snip>