[Arm-dev] configs directory, compiling a custom kernel for ARM

Chris Szilagyi

chris at apex-internet.com
Wed Feb 7 14:46:48 UTC 2018

Hello:
I am following the CentOS instructions to compile a custom kernel for
ARM.  I am following the instructions here:
https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel.  I do need my own config
which I have generated and copied to the directories as mentioned in the
instructions.

I eventually get to the step and start the build with : rpmbuild -bb
--target=`uname -m` kernel.spec 2> build-err.log | tee build-out.log

During the build, just after the "make -s mrproper", it tries to "cp
configs/kernel-4.9.75-armv7l.config", and gives the error "No such file
or directory".  It seems that the BUILD/kernel-*/linux-*configs/
directory is somehow being generated by some scripts, and the config I
need is not there.  I can't seem to find out where it gets the config
files that it places in the configs folder.  Can anybody shed some light
on this?

I noticed that the running kernel is "armv7hl", and doing a "uname -m"
returns "armv7l" (missing the "h").  Not sure if this has anything to do
with it.

Thank you!

Chris