[Arm-dev] kernel 4.14.17 testing for armhfp boards (not for rpi2/rpi3)

Fabian Arrotin arrfab at centos.org
Fri Feb 16 06:46:44 UTC 2018

On 15/02/18 21:59, Iván Chavero wrote:
> On 10/02/18 10:32, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Some people asked for a newer 4.14 kernel recently as they'd like to
>> test some boards, and not rely on the initial kernel provided by the
>> vendor, so in fact relying on the mainline upstream kernel.
>> As some boards received support in newer 4.14 branch (now also LTS)
>> we're considering a bump from 4.9.x to 4.14.x branch for armhfp.
>>
>> Kernel 4.14.17-201.el7 was so built last week and is available in a
>> testing repo : .repo file that can be created is :
>>
>> [kernel-testing]
>> name=kernel-testing
>> baseurl=https://armv7.dev.centos.org/repodir/arm-kernels/kernel/
>> enabled=1
>> gpgcheck=0
>>
>> If you can give feedback that would be appreciated.
>> So far it was tested on cubietruck and bananapi
>>
>> Cheers,
>

> I've tested on Centos cubietruck plus in the past and it didn't work
> because of
> sunxi options or patches that werent's added or enabled is there a guide
> to integrate
> this kernel to the image so i can test it?

We never released a "Cubietruck plus" CentOS image , but only a
Cubietruck one (plus is cubieboard5 and cubietruck is cubieboard5)
Here is the image :
http://mirror.centos.org/altarch/7/isos/armhfp/CentOS-Userland-7-armv7hl-Minimal-1708-CubieTruck.img.xz

But we have doc on the wiki about how to use an image/RootFS and just
adapt what's needed for other board :

https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/AltArch/Arm32#head-f796aaff2cabd850bde1d5dcc1443c048d68b5aa

And Cubietruck_plus is listed there (but I only have a rpi2/rpi3 and
cubietruck at home, so I can't test all those boards).

So can you test that procedure (almost 100% sure that it will work for
your board) ?

Once you have booted it, you'll run the 4.9 kernel by default , and a
yum upate will bring you to the last one we released for that branch (so
4.9.75)

Then it's up to you to use the other testing repo to test kernel 4.14.17
(it works fine on my Cubietruck)

Cheers

gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab