[Arm-dev] kernel 4.14.17 testing for armhfp boards (not for rpi2/rpi3)

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Feb 16 15:24:40 UTC 2018

On 02/16/2018 12:46 AM, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> On 15/02/18 21:59, Iván Chavero wrote:
>> On 10/02/18 10:32, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Some people asked for a newer 4.14 kernel recently as they'd like to
>>> test some boards, and not rely on the initial kernel provided by the
>>> vendor, so in fact relying on the mainline upstream kernel.
>>> As some boards received support in newer 4.14 branch (now also LTS)
>>> we're considering a bump from 4.9.x to 4.14.x branch for armhfp.
>>>
>>> Kernel 4.14.17-201.el7 was so built last week and is available in a
>>> testing repo : .repo file that can be created is :
>>>
>>> [kernel-testing]
>>> name=kernel-testing
>>> baseurl=https://armv7.dev.centos.org/repodir/arm-kernels/kernel/
>>> enabled=1
>>> gpgcheck=0
>>>
>>> If you can give feedback that would be appreciated.
>>> So far it was tested on cubietruck and bananapi
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>

>> I've tested on Centos cubietruck plus in the past and it didn't work
>> because of
>> sunxi options or patches that werent's added or enabled is there a guide
>> to integrate
>> this kernel to the image so i can test it?
>>

> We never released a "Cubietruck plus" CentOS image , but only a
> Cubietruck one (plus is cubieboard5 and cubietruck is cubieboard5)
> Here is the image :
> http://mirror.centos.org/altarch/7/isos/armhfp/CentOS-Userland-7-armv7hl-Minimal-1708-CubieTruck.img.xz
>
> But we have doc on the wiki about how to use an image/RootFS and just
> adapt what's needed for other board :
>
> https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/AltArch/Arm32#head-f796aaff2cabd850bde1d5dcc1443c048d68b5aa
>
> And Cubietruck_plus is listed there (but I only have a rpi2/rpi3 and
> cubietruck at home, so I can't test all those boards).
>
> So can you test that procedure (almost 100% sure that it will work for
> your board) ?
>
> Once you have booted it, you'll run the 4.9 kernel by default , and a
> yum upate will bring you to the last one we released for that branch (so
> 4.9.75)
>
> Then it's up to you to use the other testing repo to test kernel 4.14.17
> (it works fine on my Cubietruck)

I just tried the cubietruck plus with our u-boot and the custom
'u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin' for Cubietruck_plus from our build .. and
also with the Fedora 28 Rawhide custom 'u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin' I get
no video out OR DHCP ip4 or ipv6 address.

I think this board is still not really supported .. as the current page
for the 'A83T' (the SOC for the cubietruck plus) here is very much not
yet in mainline:

http://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort

I also tried booting Fedora 27 and it did not work for me.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes