[Arm-dev] Why RPi3 under Arm32 rather than AArch64?

Gordan Bobic gordan at redsleeve.org
Mon Jan 8 13:04:08 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 12:56 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> On 01/08/2018 06:06 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 11:35 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org
> > <mailto:johnny at centos.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 01/04/2018 04:30 PM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> > My kernels are build from SRPMs containing a plain upstream LT kernel
> > with no extra patches.
> > So the method is sound. The only thing I can think of that could
> > potentially break it is if a patch in the CentOS kernel breaks something
> > for SoCs that aren't included in the existing kernel config.
> >

> The only patches we have were from the Fedora 4.9.x kernel and we also
> follow the 4.9 LTS upstream kernel.  If you could use this SRPM, it
> would make it easier to roll into CentOS later (if that is your intention):
>
> http://vault.centos.org/altarch/7.4.1708/experimental/
> Source/i386/Source/SPackages/

I can probably do that and destill it down to a difference in the kernel
build config file.
All I am saying is that the vanilla unpatched kernel works. Whether any
distro patches will break with the required changes to the config - that
remains to be seen (it wouldn't be the first time).

> >     AND for the image, it is completely buildable via a kickstart
> >     file or one of the normal tools and everything does not have to be
> hand
> >     added, etc.  If we can make that happen, then I am happy for us to
> have
> >     an aarch64 build.
> >

> > Yes, all of that is doable.
> >

> >     But, it is odd that the RPI foundation doesn't care enough to make
> that
> >     happen.
> >

> > OK, I just lost you there - what part of the above would you consider to
> > be in their remit to do?
> >

> They provide the default kernel sources for the rpi3 .. one would think
> they would provide 64 bit software for it.  I have no issue with us
> doing it, obviously.

AFAICT everything is in 4.9 mainline kernel, so I don't really see what
else they could possibly do.