[Arm-dev] CentOS 7 with Linux 4.14

Sat Jan 13 23:42:08 UTC 2018
Thomas Burdick <thomas at burdick.fr>

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply!

> Le 13 janvier 2018 à 15:16, Fabian Arrotin a écrit :
>

>     On 13/01/18 11:50, Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
>
>         > > Hi,
> >
> >         I'd like to try to install CentOS on an Odroid Xu4 board I have. The
> >         board is supposed to be supported by the mainline 4.14 kernel. >From what
> >         I've gathered, it should be possible to build an image with the 4.14
> >         kernel (possibly taken from Fedora) and a CentOS 7 system. But I haven't
> >         found instructions on how to go about assembling such an image.
> >
> >         Could anyone give any pointers? Or would I be better off just using Fedora?
> >
> >         Thanks for your help,
> >         Thomas
> >
> >     >     First question : armhfp (armv7) or aarch64 (armv8) ?
>     If that's armhfp, is there a need for 4.14 or a 4.9 LTS would contain
>     what you'd need for that board ?
>     Depending on your answer, it can be really easy to build the image (or
>     better, just modify an existing one) to boot on such board.

It's armhfp, and from what I understood from the hardkernel site, they got support into the mainline 4.14 kernel. So I could either use a custom 4.9 kernel, or the mainstream 4.14, which is what I'd prefer.

>     In the past, odroid/hardkernel never worked with stock/vanilla kernels,
>     and same for uboot.
>     If you confirm that it now does, chances are that we can have something
>     available soon :-)
>
>     Can you give more details ? like, have you tested Fedora already ? It
>     Fedora works, then likely that means that uboot images can now support
>     natively that odroid board, and we can give it a quick try with a CentOS
>     image, etc ..

I haven't tested it with Fedora yet. The variant I have is headless, and it seems I need to pick up a new USB-UART cable. I should be able to test it Tuesday or Wednesday.

-Thomas