[Arm-dev] Using zram-swap

Gordan Bobic gordan at redsleeve.org
Fri Oct 12 16:54:15 UTC 2018

Depends on his use case. The only way he is seeing 4-5:1 CR is if there are
a lot of 0-filled pages being swapped out (those just get thrown away
completely). Firefox is known to request tons of RAM this way, of which it
regularly ends up not using most.
On a more sane load, you will typically achieve about 2:1.

Realistically, if you have 1GB of RAM and give 512MB to zram, that gives
you about 512MB of uncompressed RAM and 1GB of somewhat slower compressed
RAM that is still way faster than swapping.