[Arm-dev] Attempt to install Xfce by hand

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Oct 15 20:54:38 UTC 2018

Added vncserver.  See below

> On 10/14/18 9:34 AM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>

>> On 10/14/18 8:25 AM, Pablo Sebastián Greco wrote:
>>>
>>> Robert,

>>> Those 4 pkgs are also unavailable on x86. I don't know if you
>>> tested, but I think you should test the steps in x86, and then
>>> replicate them on arm
>>
>> I really don't have an x86 available for testing!  Just my notebooks,
>> and I need those as they are...
>
> No screensaver tool listed in settings.  No background theme.  No
> background theme is no biggie, but no screensaver control?

Setting up vncserver was easy.  The only thing to note is that the
xstartup is for gnome.  Change as follows for Xfce:

# exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
exec  /bin/sh /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc

[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
startxfce4 &

You have to first start vncserver so that you get the gnome xstartup
file.  Then you edit it, stop vncserver, and restart it.  Very
challenging.  See my bug: 633811

With no screensaver, the session never locks.  I went away for a
doctor's appt and came back 2 hours later and still had the open,
unlocked, vnc session.  Of course my notebook's desktop was locked.

I inserted a usb drive, and when I went to mount it, it polkit dialog
asked for my password.  My user account is in group wheel.  I installed
k3b, attached a usb CD/DVD writer, but k3b did not 'see' /dev/sr0 and
threw an error.  These are selinux policy issues that I don't know how
to adjust.

Anyway, I am putting Centos-arm work away and going back to Nethserver
(which is still Centos-arm) until Pablo is able to make the necessary DE
group(s).  Or someone else much more skilled than I.

And thanks Pablo for getting it this far along!