[Arm-dev] Attempt to install Xfce by hand

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Oct 18 21:04:18 UTC 2018

> On 10/18/18 3:55 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:

>>> thanks for digging into this.  I was looking for a x86 box to do a
>>> 'standard' minimal install and then install Xfce and see what was being
>>> dropped on the box.  Thing is, where do I have an x86 box here other
>>> than my notebook?
>> I am quite sure the issue is some pieces GNOME need to be installed to
>> make everything work.
>>
>> I am going to try 2 things:
>>
>> 1) a gnome desktop install .. but afterwards only use xfce
>
> I can confirm that this works.  It is how I got my first working Xfce,
> see my post back on 10-14 9:34am EDT.

This does work .. so we really just need to figure out the minimum
number of packages to make this work.

BTW . firefox is absolutely not usable with a 2GB cubietruck_plus in xfce.

If someone wanted to seriously use this setup, it would not be on this
machine.

>> 2) try with mate and lightdm and not gdm for the main screen .. then use
>> xfce or mate
>
> It would be nice to use lightdm rather than gdm on arm.  Fedora is, but
> then I found some bugs on lightdm that have since been fixed (otherwise
> F29 would not be in beta, as it was a blocker or something like that).
>
> I looked at mate, but had already adjusted to xfce thanks to it
> appearing in the first Fedora-arm images.

I'll see if I can figure out what is missing to make xfce  work with a
minimal install.