[Arm-dev] Tracking Down "Illegal instruction" Sources

Gordan Bobic gordan at redsleeve.org
Tue Jul 16 22:52:25 UTC 2019

I started digging at /bin/glxgears, and tracking things down from there,
looking at what libraries it is linked against, and the libraries those
libraries are linked against. Here is what I found that objdump identifies
as containing NEON instructions:

/bin/glxgears
/lib/libc.so.6
/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
/lib/libX11.so.6
/lib/libxcb.so.1

I am very much hoping we can just ignore libc and libgcc - by explaining
those away as containing runtime NEON detection to avoid executing NEON
instructions.
libX11 and libxcb - you'd think that if these were causing the problem

Further, these contain NEON instructions among the libGL* libraries, but
they don't appear to be being linked against by glxgears:
/lib/libGLU.so.1.3.1
/lib/libGLX_mesa.so.0.0.0
/lib/libGL.so.1.7.0

gdm which fails for similar reasons seems to be linked against the
following additional libraries that contain NEON instructions:

libgio-2.0.so.0
libgobject-2.0.so.0
libglib-2.0.so.0
libxcb.so.1
libsystemd.so.0
libmount.so.1
libm.so.6
liblzma.so.5
liblz4.so.1
libgcrypt.so.11
libdw.so.1
libblkid.so.1
libfreebl3.so
libelf.so.1
libbz2.so.1

So it looks like there is NEON all over the place. The question then
becomes - how is anything working at all?
Do libsystemd and libmount really have any justifiable reason for
containing any runtime detection NEON accelerations? Surely if cannot be by
pure blind luck that those NEON instructions are in functions that never
seem to get invoked during regular use, can it?