[Arm-dev] CentOS 8 for armv7hl

Ron Wheeler rwheeler at artifact-software.com
Fri Nov 8 02:43:58 UTC 2019

Would CentOS be a good and well supported headless 64 bit OS for the
Raspberry Pi4?

I use Centos7 for everything else and am planning of transitioning from
existing servers to blade servers based on the Pi4 for supporting
microservice-based applications (Spring, Netflix, Google as well as
software development (Nexus, gitlab&SVN, Postfix, DHCP, Firewalld, etc.).

I am old enough to believe that 4Gb RAM on a current-generation CPU can
run a whole company and if you have 20 such units working together, you
have a lot of power.
It is awfully nice to think that if one fails, you just slap in another
Pi4 for practically nothing rather than replacing a powerful server for
25 times the price.

I am looking at the $55 Pis as alternatives to virtual machines but
might still want to play with Cloudstack to break up the Pis into
smaller virtual machines if $55 becomes a lot to pay for a real one!

I would love to take advantage of the active release of security updates
that we enjoy in CentOS but if there is insufficient support for 64 bit
ARM, that is a show stopper.

Would Raspbien be a better choice?
It is obviously well supported on the Pi but comes with a lot of stuff
that is of no use to me in a microservices/corporate server environment
and means a lot of conversion of my thinking and existing processes.

Ron