[Arm-dev] Run C7 armhfp as VM on x86_64?

Jeremy Linton jlinton at redhat.com
Tue Sep 17 20:13:42 UTC 2019

Hi,

On 8/31/19 10:28 AM, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> It sure seems like this should be possible, but Googling about and
> clicking around in virt-manager hasn't really gotten me anywhere.

That is because virt-manager expects a kernel/DT/etc image rather than
an ISO like aarch64/x86/etc.

Its actually pretty easy to run the armv7 emulation from the command
line with a uefi firmare blob (IMHO this should be an option in
virt-manager). The key is using the -cpu host,aarch64=off flag. Here is
a complete command line to start a fedora image. Obviously you need the
aarch64 qemu, the armv7 efi package, and probably a few things i'm not
remembering installed.

"/usr/bin/qemu-system-aarch64 -name guest=fedora30arhfp -machine
virt-3.0,accel=kvm,gic-version=2 -cpu host,aarch64=off -m 2048  -smp
1,sockets=1,cores=1,threads=1 -drive
file=/usr/share/edk2/arm/QEMU_EFI-pflash.raw,if=pflash,format=raw,unit=0,readonly=on
-drive
file=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/nvram/Fedora-Minimal-30-20190223.n.0.armhfp_VARS.fd,if=pflash,format=raw,unit=1
-device qemu-xhci -device virtio-gpu-pci -drive
file=/root/Downloads/Fedora-Server-armhfp-30-1.2-sda.raw,format=raw
-device usb-kbd  -display gtk -device virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsi0 -device
scsi-cd,bus=scsi0.0,id=cdrom"