[Arm-dev] AArch64 Pi4 and CentOS 8

Tue May 12 03:43:46 UTC 2020
Brent Kolasinski <brent at 0x626b.com>

Hi everyone,

I've been looking into things I can do to help with getting CentOS 8 AArch64 to run on the Pi4.  It appears that the upstream kernel now has the proper stuff merged in to support the NIC and eMMC controller.

So far 2 approaches are being made: The U-Boot mechanism (looks like this is what Ubuntu 20.04 is doing) and the SBBR (ACPI + UEFI) way.  It looks like a few folks may be loading the SBBR firmware with luck on the standard CentOS 8 aarch64 image.

Could one potentially recompile the SRPM for kernel 5.6 from elrepo and drop it in?  I found the CentOS8 pi4 aarch64 userland image here: https://people.centos.org/pgreco.  Has anyone tried getting the SBBR firmware to load the stock aarch64 CentOS 8 image without support for the eMMC / NIC, to basically bootstrap and compile the SRPM for the 5.6 kernel?

And finally does anyone know if CentOS will be backporting the Pi4 changes to 4.18, or will they be releasing a custom kernel?  Could I help out with that?