[Arm-dev] Desktop Boards

Thu Jan 28 17:56:30 UTC 2021
Gordan Bobic <gordan at redsleeve.org>

Hi,

Most unfortunately, my MP30-AR1 board seems to have expired today. It gets
stuck in an infinite boot loop:

Boot from SPI-NOR
American Megatrends
Boot firmware (Project MP30-AR1, BIOS Ver F01; built at 15:11:23 on Sep  5
2016)
Slimpro FW Ver: 2.4
iPP Ver: 01.15.01.00
Checkpoint 2D
Checkpoint 2D
Checkpoint 2D
Checkpoint 2D

So I'm looking for a replacement. Unfortunately, everything I can get in
*TX form factor seems to be nowhere nearly as good, despite 6-7 years of
advancement, and I can't seem to find a replacement MP30-AR1 board listed
anywhere.

I am aware of these:
https://www.chip1stop.com/USA/en/product/detail?partId=SOCI-0000003&mpn=SC0FQAA-B-000
Pros:
- Can just buy one
Cons:
- Poor performance despite lots of cores, especially single-thread
performance compared to the old MP30-AR1
- Only half the RAM capacity at 64GB

https://e.huawei.com/en/products/servers/kunpeng/kunpeng-desktop-board
Pros:
- Might have half decent single thread performance matching or exceeding
the old MP30-AR1
Cons:
- Questionable availability, unknown pricing
- Only half the RAM capacity at 64GB

Is there another offering that I'm missing? I know Gigabyte do a server
system, but I need something reasonably quiet and compact rather than
something rack mounted making data centre grade noise.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Gordan