[Arm-dev] Centos 9 status?

Mon Feb 21 17:32:32 UTC 2022

On 2/21/22 10:56, Fred Gleason wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2022, at 09:35, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>
>> The main Centos list talks about Stream 9, but nothing about Linux 9.
>>
>> What is the status of 9?  will we see something, say in the next
>> month when I am likely to do this?
>
> The CentOS Project (which turns out effectively to mean RedHat)
> announced a major change regarding CentOS Linux 8 and later versions a
> little over a year ago. You can get the details at:
>
> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/12/centos-shifts-from-red-hat-unbranded-to-red-hat-beta/
>
> Cheers!

Interesting and sad.  I actually ran WhiteHat back in the day and move
to Centos when WhiteHat stopped getting updates.  Single person distro
could be like that back then.  I did not start using Fedora until 6
before I would trust it.

Now I only have Centos on arm32.  Just turned off my ClearOS6 server for
a QNAP NAS.

I am looking for what I am going to replace my Centos arm32 DNS server
with.  So far, nothing commercial is priced right and does what little I
need.  So Centos8 with Webmin seemed likely.  But the above article says
that Centos8 is already past EoL!  Not 2029...

My mail server is actually RedSleeve6!  And I am considering a asustor
NAS as only a mailserver as its replacement (unless someone can
recommend another arm mailserver for multiple domains).

So at age 72, it is coming to a wrap for me.  I will continue with
Fedora on my notebook, but various servers, will where possible go to
supported boxes like the QNAP.