[CentOS-announce] Re: [CentOS] CentOS-4/beta/preview version immediate availability

Pasi Pirhonen

upi at iki.fi
Mon Oct 17 22:33:49 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 11:47:53PM +0300, Pasi Pirhonen wrote:

> I've tested the installation to
>
> - U10
> - U30
> - Netra T1405 (quad)
> - Netra/X1
>
> U30/UPA graphical installation didn't start, but it's something to be
> fixed before actual release.

I followup myself as i forgot few things (even tho i was thinking what
i was going to write about it).

The known 'features'.

- SMP-kernel isn't installed even when installing to SMP-hardware
- /etc/silo.conf symlink is not created from /boot/silo.conf
- I don't have much idea how selinux-stuff behaves, so better put it in
  permissive mode to see
- There are no keymaps (if one boots with the mini.iso). Intentinally
  left those out as old ones are behaving really strangely and new ones
  does crash the installer.

Ie. Those are things i already know, so those aren't worth reporting
back. I have been giving a lot of me on build pf sparc, so i need to
leave it there for few days and start working with it then again.

If someone does have IDE/CD sparc and want't to put in IDE/DVD, that
most propably just work with DVD-image. It's specially reordered to
have all the needed files at the begining of the disk, so it should be
able to fecth the silo+kernel+initrd to get linux up and running. Thing
i had to do and learned with CentOS-4/alpha where the SRM was not able
to fetch the stuff from arbitary locations with IDE/DVD and was working
fine with SCSI/DVD. Locating all the important at begining of the disk
solved it there for DVD-image/boot.

I have tested the DVD-installation on Netra/X1 and U10 with IDE/DVD.

--
Pasi Pirhonen - upi at iki.fi - http://iki.fi/upi/