[CentOS-announce] CentOS 5 i386 - The CentOS-5.3 i386 Live CD is released

Karanbir Singh kbsingh at centos.org
Wed May 27 01:06:32 UTC 2009

The CentOS Development team is pleased to announce the availability of
the CentOS 5.3 i386 Live CD.

This CD is based on our CentOS-5.3 i386 distribution.

It can be used as a Workstation, with the following software:

# openoffice.org 2.3.0
# firefox 3.0.6
# thunderbird
# pidgin 2.5.5
# xchat 2.6.6
# gimp 2.2.13

It can also be used as a rescue CD with the following tools:

# memtest86+-1.65
# Full set of LVM and RAID command line tools
# Nmap and NMapFE
# traceroute
# samba-3.0.33 with cifs kernel support to connect to Windows file shares
# System Log Viewer
# GUI Hardware Device Manager

The following packages were removed to reach the 700MB target. You can
install them back using the 'yum install' command while running under
the LiveCD environment:

# emacs
# k3b
# scribus

The CentOS Live CD project home page is here:

Live CD build scripts, screenshots, booting from a USB key, custom Live
CD Creation and other information is available there.

The CentOS 5.3 i386 Live CD is based on the Fedora livecd-tools project:

You can get the CentOS 5.3 i386 Live CD from the CentOS mirrors:

* Filename: CentOS-5.3-i386-LiveCD.iso
* Size:     691MB
* MD5Sum:   54bc01353cc67c4ddfaa7f1bc3b75c0e
* SHA1Sum:  4d01884a67d585b9431336a6db39f7ec66dddc47

Release Notes:

LiveCD Release Notes:

CentOS-5.3 Release Notes:

upstream Release Notes here:

CentOS-5 Documentation is here:

The CentOS Project would like to thank Patrice Guay for the creation of
this CD. Patrice heads the CentOS-5/LiveCD project and has contributed
much time and efforts into creating and working with the liveCD's on

We would also like to thank the CentOS QA team for testing this LiveCD
and their many suggestions to make it better.

To stay current with CentOS:

Visit our website at http://www.centos.org/

Join the CentOS mailing list at:

Catch the Wiki at http://wiki.centos.org

Join various team members on IRC at irc.freenode.net #centos-devel

And finally, we are looking at a major upgrade for the next release of
the CentOS 5 LiveCD, and are taking on ideas, suggestions and code
contributions for this. If you have any ideas, do come and talk to us!

The CentOS Development Team