[CentOS-announce] Release for CentOS-6.1 i386 and x86_64

Karanbir Singh kbsingh at centos.org
Fri Dec 9 19:09:53 EST 2011

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of CentOS-6.1
install media for i386 and x86_64 Architectures. Release Notes for 6.1
are availble at http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS6.1 -
we recommend everyone looks through those once.

CentOS-6.1 is based on the upstream release EL 6.1 and includes packages
from all variants. All upstream repositories have been combined into
one, to make it easier for end users to work with.

All machines running CentOS-Release-CR on 6.0 would already be running
code that is included in the 6.1 install media. We highly recommend
everyone use the CR repository in order to get all bugfix and security
updates as soon as possible. More information on the CR repository can
be found at : http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CR

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Upgrading from CentOS-4 or CentOS-5:

We recommend everyone run through a reinstall rather than attempt an
inplace upgrade from CentOS-4 or CentOS-5

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Downloading CentOS-6.1 for new installs:

When possible, consider using torrents to run the downloads. In most
cases you will find its also the fastest means to download the distro.
There are currently over a thousand  people seeding CentOS-6 and it's
possible to get upto 100mbps downloads via these torrents.

Torrent files for the DVD's are available at :
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6.1/isos/i386/CentOS-6.1-i386-bin-DVD1to2.torrent
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6.1/isos/x86_64/CentOS-6.1-x86_64-bin-DVD1to2.torrent

You can also use a mirror close to you :
http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=30

Most mirrors will allow direct DVD downloads over http, ftp and rsync.

Please keep in mind that not all mirrors are currently updated, some
might take upto another 24 hours before they have all the content.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
sha1sum for the CentOS-6.1 ISOS:

i386:
2ef1eb330efeb8bca5646700481b1a645f726bdb  CentOS-6.1-i386-bin-DVD1.iso
e12d7f473fa7f13931738f3c37f57d99e66c2ff2  CentOS-6.1-i386-bin-DVD2.iso
b0163bcf2777b9c19542a89106094aafea45f3aa  CentOS-6.1-i386-netinstall.iso

x86_64:
6cf7de61f851bbdb6859ce0a33d65d9554219509  CentOS-6.1-x86_64-bin-DVD1.iso
7bfd52eaa5ada445982c3f528c1f481bbcda85c8  CentOS-6.1-x86_64-bin-DVD2.iso
2d0e5c3c91717996c7d3d35658f79ccac767b564  CentOS-6.1-x86_64-netinstall.iso
+++++++++++++++++++++++
Sources and Debuginfo packages:

SRPMS and debuginfo packages are still making their way to the CentOS
mirrors and should be available within the next 24 to 48 hours. We are
prioritising the centos modified packages. In order to speed up the
release process for these packages, we are releasing them directly into
vault.centos.org; this drastically reduces the amount of traffic
generated for the mirrors and makes it possible for us to publish them
in sync with the binary code.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Getting Help:

The best place to start when looking for help with CentOS is at the wiki
( http://wiki.centos.org/GettingHelp ) which lists various options and
communities who might be able to help. If you think there is a bug in
the system, do report it at http://bugs.centos.org/ - but keep in mind
that the bugs system is *not* a support mechanism.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Contributing and joining the project:

We are always looking for people to join and help with various things in
the project. If you are keen to help out a good place to start is the
wiki page at http://wiki.centos.org/Contribute . If you have questions
or a specific area you would like to contribute towards that is not
covered on that page, feel free to drop in on
#centos-devel at irc.freenode.net for a chat or email the centos-devel list
(http://lists.centos.org).

Thanks to everyone who contributed towards making 6.1, specially the
enormous effort put in by everyone on the QA team.

Enjoy!

--
Karanbir Singh <kbsingh at centos.org>
The CentOS Project {http://www.centos.org}