[CentOS-announce] Release for CentOS Linux 7 (1511) on x86_64

Karanbir Singh kbsingh at centos.org
Mon Dec 14 14:36:05 UTC 2015

We would like to announce the general availability of CentOS Linux 7
(1511) for 64 bit x86 compatible machines.

This is the third major release for CentOS Linux 7 and is tagged as
1511, derived from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.2

As always, read through the Release Notes at :
http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS7 - these notes
contain important information about the release and details about some
of the content inside the release from the CentOS QA team. These notes
are updated constantly to include issues and incorporate feedback from
the users.

- ----------
Updates, Sources, and DebugInfos

Updates released since we froze the iso and install media content are
posted in the updates repo along with the release. This will include
content from late November 2015 and December 2015, therefore anyone
running a new install is highly encouraged to run a 'yum update'
operation immediate on install completion.  You can apply all updates,
including the content released today, on your existing CentOS Linux
7/x86_64 machine by just running 'yum update'. Note that it might be
upto 24 hrs from this announcement before the entire mirror network
has got the updated content.

As with all CentOS Linux 7 components, this release was built from
sources hosted at git.centos.org. In addition, SRPMs that are a
byproduct of the build (and also considered critical in the code and
buildsys process) are being published to match every binary RPM we
release. Sources will be available from vault.centos.org in their own
dedicated directories to match the corresponding binary RPMs. Since
there is far less traffic to the CentOS source RPMs compared with the
binary RPMs, we are not putting this content on the main mirror
network. If users wish to mirror this content they can do so using the
reposync command available in the yum-utils package. All CentOS source
RPMs are signed with the same key used to sign their binary
counterparts. Developers and end users looking at inspecting and
contributing patches to the CentOS Linux distro will find the code
hosted at git.centos.org far simpler to work against. Details on how
to best consume those are documented along with a quick start at :
http://wiki.centos.org/Sources

Debuginfo packages are also being signed and pushed. Yum configs
shipped in the new release file will have all the context required for
debuginfo to be available on every CentOS Linux install.

This release supersedes all previously released content for CentOS
Linux 7, and therefore we highly encourage all users to upgrade their
machines. Information on different upgrade strategies and how to
handle stale content is included in the Release Notes.

As discussed in the mailing list thread
https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2015-November/014035.htm
there are no LiveCD images included due to space constraints.

- ----------
Download

In order to conserve donor bandwidth, and to make it possible to get
the mirror content sync'd out as soon as possible, we recommend using
torrents to get your initial installer images:

Details on the images are available on the mirrors at
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/isos/x86_64/0_README.txt - that file
clearly highlights the difference in the images, and when one might be
more suitable than the others.

The sizes, sha256 sums and torrents for the ISO files:

* CentOS-7-x86_64-NetInstall-1511.iso
  Size: 394264576
  Torrent:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/isos/x86_64/CentOS-7-x86_64-NetInstall
- -1511.torrent
  Sha256Sum:
9ed9ffb5d89ab8cca834afce354daa70a21dcb410f58287d6316259ff89758f5

* CentOS-7-x86_64-Minimal-1511.iso
  Size: 632291328
  Torrent:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/isos/x86_64/CentOS-7-x86_64-Minimal-15
11.torrent
  Sha256Sum:
f90e4d28fa377669b2db16cbcb451fcb9a89d2460e3645993e30e137ac37d284

* CentOS-7-x86_64-DVD-1511.iso
  Size: 4329570304
  Torrent:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/isos/x86_64/CentOS-7-x86_64-DVD-1511.t
orrent
  Sha256sum:
907e5755f824c5848b9c8efbb484f3cd945e93faa024bad6ba875226f9683b16

* CentOS-7-x86_64-Everything-1511.iso
  Size: 7769948160
  Torrent:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/isos/x86_64/CentOS-7-x86_64-Everything
- -1511.torrent
  Sha256Sum:
148449e661535f52aa846aa4a0112798f9153df8526b83e76075560a1de3accf

* CentOS-7-x86_64-LiveGNOME-1511.iso
  Size: 1211105280
  Torrent:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/isos/x86_64/CentOS-7-x86_64-LiveGNOME-
1511.torrent
  Sha256Sum:
10dccb7c028d7afafbe1ade59dacf809edb3af2f24b1b69bafce9e6ec3c6ee17

* CentOS-7-x86_64-LiveKDE-1511.iso
  Size: 1784676352
  Torrent:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/isos/x86_64/CentOS-7-x86_64-LiveKDE-15
11.torrent
  Sha256Sum:
ba9fed39d7e5398f4cd6b96497ba28da9979be12a4e0424d3030277d716c9e3f

The iso files are also available for direct download from
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/isos/x86_64

- ----------
The Docker container, Vagrant images, Cloud images and Atomic Host
images are being prepared and will be released in the next few days.
Look for an announcement posted to the centos-announce list for more
information on availability for these in the coming days.

- ----------
Special Interest Groups

The CentOS Linux distribution is built, managed, and released by the
CentOS Core SIG. In addition, we also have the following SIGs that are
doing an amazing job expanding and building on the base Linux platform:

* CentOS Alternative Architectures SIG is working on and testing
CentOS Linux 7 for ARMv7 ( armhfp ), Aarch64 and i686 architectures to
sync with the core CentOS Linux 7 (1511), derived from Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 7.2. We hope to have these released in the coming
days. Further to this work has been ongoing for PowerPC8 Little Endian
and PowerPC Big Endian - we hope to have a Tech Preview installable
tree available in the coming days for these as well. If you are
interested in joining these efforts and helping with the larger
community, please come and talk to us in the centos-devel list (
https://lists.centos.org/ ).

* Cloud SIG @ http://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Cloud is
working to deliver various cloud controller infrastructure including
OpenStack. They have a fully functional, feature complete RDO stack
now available for CentOS Linux 7/x86_64. You can enable OpenStack
Liberty on your machine by running 'yum install
centos-release-openstack-liberty'. This is a completely tested end to
end content, as curated by the RDO Project.

* Cloud Instance SIG @
http://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/CloudInstance aims to
deliver VM images for use in various cloud and virtualised ecosystems
including AWS
(https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/seller-profile?id=16cb8b03-256e-4dde
- -8f34-1b0f377efe89
) and Docker ( https://registry.hub.docker.com/_/centos/ ). We are
working to add support for Microsoft Azure Cloud in the near future.

 * Virtualization SIG @
http://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Virtualization includes
upstream virtualization and hypervisor related projects including Xen
http://www.xenproject.org ), oVirt ( http://www.ovirt.org/ ), and
Docker ( http://docker.io ). They also work to build and release
support tools around these virtualization technologies. You can get
started with oVirt node by running 'yum install
centos-release-ovirt36' and the ev version of KVM is available via
'yum install centos-release-qemu-ev'.

* Storage SIG @ http://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Storage
includes the Gluster Project ( http://www.gluster.org/ ), Ceph
(http://ceph.com ), OpenAFS ( http://www.openafs.org ) and the SCST
project ( http://scst.sourceforge.net/ ). Gluster builds for CentOS
are now released into the main repos, and can be enabled with 'yum
install centos-release-gluster37'

* Software Collections SIG @
http://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/SCLo is working on
documenting and then delivering software collections built for newer
versions of in-distro content. Their aim is to deliver a community and
contributor friendly mechanism for SCL's in an easy to consume format.
A large number of SCL's are now released and available on CentOS Linux
7, you can get started with 'yum install centos-release-scl'.

* Atomic SIG @ http://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Atomic is
working on building, maintaining, and delivering a CentOS Atomic host
( http://projectatomic.io ). Stable, testing and development builds
including AWS EC2 instances and Vagrant boxes are now available at
http://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Atomic/Download.

In addition to these, the CentOS Artwork and CentOS Promo SIGs help
with promo content and helping organise Dojos around the world.

SIGs are a great way for people to come together and deliver content
around a specific area into the wider CentOS ecosystem and we welcome
groups to come together with low barriers to entry and plenty of
resources to offer the groups. Details on the process can be found at
http://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup

- ----------
Dojo

We try and organise Dojos in various parts of the world as a one day
event, to bring together people who use CentOS and others who are keen
to learn about CentOS. The day's focus is on sharing technical
knowledge and success stories. It's also a great place to meet and
talk about upcoming technologies and learn how others are using them
on CentOS Linux.

Our next Dojo coming up is in Brussels, on the 29th Jan 2016. Details
are posted at https://wiki.centos.org/Events/Dojo/Brussels2016 - note
that only people who have registered for the event will be allowed to
attend, and we have a limited number of slots open.

In the coming months we hope to host events in London, Bangalore,
Sweden, Germany, Spain, and in many parts of the USA. If you would
like to help organise a Dojo, do drop by the centos-promo list at
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-promo

- ----------
Getting Help

The CentOS ecosystem is sustained by community driven help and
guidance. The best place to start for new users is at
http://wiki.centos.org/GettingHelp

- ----------
Contributors

This release was made possible due to the hard work of many people,
foremost on that list are the Red Hat Engineers for producing a great
distribution, without them CentOS Linux would look very different.

We are also looking for people to get involved with the QA process in
CentOS, if you would like to join this please introduce yourself on
the centos-devel list
(http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel ).

Thanks

I would also like to thank our donors and sponsors for their continued
support for the project. And to everyone who contributed with ideas,
code, test feedback, and promoting CentOS Linux into the ecosystem.

Enjoy!

- --
Karanbir Singh, Project Lead, The CentOS Project
+44-207-0094455 | http://www.centos.org/ | twitter.com/CentOS