[Centos-automotive-sig] Updates to the automotive-sig sample images

Fri Nov 19 15:22:13 UTC 2021
Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com>

The last couple of weeks we have been working a lot on the sample
images in the automotive sig. This culminated in a lot of changes at
the end of this week that are very exciting.

First of all, the manifests for these images are available (just like
before) at:

  https://gitlab.com/redhat/automotive/automotive-sig

But the recent changes are:

We now have images based on CentOS Stream 9. The old CentOS Stream 8
manifests still remain, but will soon be removed in favour of the new
ones. We have images targeting virtual machines and Raspberry Pi4,
each supporting either OSTree or regular boot mode.

There is a new build tag for automotive in CBS:

 https://cbs.centos.org/koji/buildtargetinfo?name=automotive9s-packages-main-el9s

This allows us to build custom packages targeting the automotive images that
are not normally in centos.

In this tag we now have builds of the new automotive kernel, and some other
packages that are needed for the realtime support it has:

 https://cbs.centos.org/koji/packages?tagID=2463

These kernels and packages are automatically pulled into the
automotive image builds.

All the manifests have been converted from JSON to Yaml. This makes
the manifest easier to read and maintain, and it also allows us to use
comments in the manifests. The tool that reads the yaml is osbuild-mpp,
which now supports either json or yaml, but it always outputs json files
that are read by osbuild.

We have been experimenting with booting the images without grub, using
direct uefi kernel booting. This is done in order to boot faster and
with less code. This work is experimental, but if you want to play
with it, change the image_type to "directboot" to see this in
action. It even works on the raspberry pi.

All manifests are now ext4 based rather than xfs, as the automotive kernel
is slated to remove the xfs support.

The neptune images now automatically log in as the "neptune" user and start
neptune.

--
 Alexander Larsson                                Red Hat, Inc
       alexl at redhat.com         alexander.larsson at gmail.com