[Centos-automotive-sig] Status update on the automotive work

Fri Nov 26 13:54:27 UTC 2021
Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou at pingoured.fr>

Good Morning Everyone,

Here is a quick update on the work that have happened this week in the
automotive-sig repository.

* Makefile simplifying image builds

There is a new Makefile in the git repository that does all the steps involved
when building images. This is much easier to use and means the docs are simpler.

For example, to build an ostree based neptune image targeting the Raspberry Pi
4, all you have to do is run `make cs9-rpi4-neptune-ostree.img`. Or, if you want
to build a rpm-based qemu image, instead run `make
cs9-qemu-neptune-regular.qcow2`.

There are all sort of other features too, check out the website and/or `make
help` for more information.

The documentation on how to build images has been adjusted to rely on this
Makefile:
https://sigs.centos.org/automotive/building/

* More stream-lined templates

With the help of the OSBuild team, a number of changes have landed to the
osbuild-mpp pre-processing tool that our build workflow rely upon.

Thanks to this, we have been able to stream-line and merge our templates. The
template for the CS9 minimal image is now just 62 lines long, while the one for
the neptune is 108 lines.

Using either of these template you can still generate images for x86_64,
aarch64, ostree-based, non-ostree-based, direct boot or grub-based boot.

The new templates are in yaml format, not json. Not only is this more readable,
but it also allows us to have comments in the files.

Note: Make sure you update to the very latest osbuild rpm (from copr [2]) for
this to work.

* New kernel

A new kernel-auto package has landed in the automotive testing repository [1].
That update brings along with it improved support for the raspberry pi 4 as well
as for the Nvidia Jetson boards.

Note: with this kernel we are now able to build images on CS9 itself

* More RT packages

In order to make most of the RT features of the kernel-auto as few extra
packages have been added to the automotive testing repository, namely:
realtime-setup, realtime-tests and tuned with its tuned-profiles-realtime
sub-package.

Happy hacking,
Alex & Pierre

[1] The "release" repositories are currently frozen for CS9, so the SIG can only
push up to the testing repository which can be found at:
https://buildlogs.centos.org/9-stream/automotive/

[2] https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/g/osbuild/osbuild/