[Centos-automotive-sig] Automotive package repository?

Thu Sep 23 08:47:24 UTC 2021
Leonardo Rossetti <lrossett at redhat.com>

Hello,

I would like to hear about the community opinion on this.

The pipeline delivery team currently installs a number of packages in some
of their pipeline tasks, this package list  (package + package version) is
stored in a file and that file gets updated when a new version of a listed
package is around in Koji.

The problem is that Koji is being used to check for new package versions
but that doesn't mean a compose was run which can lead to a situation where
mirrors  do not have that "latest" package version that was built on koji
(a compose is run weekly).

To illustrate things in a practical way:

   - A new version (1.34.0) of NetworkManager was built in koji:
   https://koji.mbox.centos.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=1433;
   - The package is not available in centos mirrors (yet):
   http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8-stream/BaseOS/aarch64/os/Packages/ ;
   - The package gets updated in this file:
   https://gitlab.com/redhat/edge/ci-cd/manifests/-/blob/update-package-NetworkManager-1.34.0-0.1.el8/package_list/c8s-image-manifest.txt#L9
   ;
   - The pipeline job fails because yum can't find that version of the
   package in the BaseOS repository.

I know that we can download those RPMs directly from Koji but I was
wondering if this is where the SIG could/should step in and make the user
experience a bit better by providing a single source of truth, be it a
repository or some tooling, to retrieve package info and show where they
stand.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
--