[Centos-automotive-sig] Weekly update on the automotive-sig

Fri Apr 22 14:48:07 UTC 2022
Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou at pingoured.fr>

Good Morning Everyone,

So here are some of the changes that we have worked on this week:

* We worked on some documentation about the different places you can contribute
  packages in our ecosystem: Fedora, EPEL, the Automotive SIG and AutoSD, cf:
  https://sigs.centos.org/automotive/contributing/building_packages/

* The general documentation about best practices for SIGs to use gitlab has been
  merged: https://sigs.centos.org/guide/gitlab/

* We have added explicitly the linux-firmware-automotive package to content
  resolver to replace the linux-firmware package with the aim to reduce the
  image size by dropping the firmware that aren't relevant, cf:
  https://github.com/minimization/content-resolver-input/pull/709

* We added some documentation on how you can use single-file offline ostree
  updates:
  https://sigs.centos.org/automotive/building/updating_ostree/#offline-delta-updates

* The example rpms that were in the sample-image repostitory have been moved to
  https://gitlab.com/CentOS/automotive/rpms, and the COPR repo where they used
  to be built has been removed from the manifests.

* The manifests have changed to defaulting to static_uuids=true, where it was
  false before. This means repeated builds of the same image will be more
  reproducible, although the uuids will not be unique between builds.

* Some initial support for encrypting the root filesystem with LUKS was added.
  Expect more work on this later though.

* We improved our documentation on customizing OSbuild templates:
  https://sigs.centos.org/automotive/building/customize_template/

Happy hacking!

Pierre