[Centos-automotive-sig] Weekly update on the automotive-sig

Fri Feb 25 19:34:25 UTC 2022
Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou at pingoured.fr>

Good Morning Everyone,

So here are some of the changes that we have worked on over the last few weeks:

* We have worked on some documentation on how to integrate container images
  while building images. This documentation can be found at:
  https://sigs.centos.org/automotive/building/containers/

* We have worked with the CentOS infrastructure to allow using the flat dist-git
  layout in CBS. Announce:
  https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2022-February/120223.html

* We have started a discussion around the structure of the lookaside used in
  CentOS:
  https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2022-February/120226.html

* We have fixed our sample images to use the `kernel-automotive` package instead
  of the old `kernel-auto` package (oups!). This simple fix, fixes booting a
  graphical user interface on the raspberry pi 4

* We have refreshed our sample images available at:
  https://pingou.fedorapeople.org/images/

* We have expanded the documentation available at:
  https://sigs.centos.org/automotive/ with information about:
  * The use of content resolver to define the content
  * How to download the RPMs of interest to the automotive SIG

Just a few notes about building images currently:
- It looks like CentOS-Stream 9 may have a bug which prevents building image.
  This is known and being investigated, we'll just have to wait a little.
- The rpi4 sample images mentioned above can boot a desktop environment using
  Wayland if the raspberry pi is configured to use ACPI. If the raspberry pi is
  configured to use device-tree, Wayland isn't starting correctly. Editing
  `/etc/gdm/custom.conf` to disable Wayland will make the session start with
  Xorg, which works fine.
- Neptune itself segfaults on launch currently, this is also known and we're
  looking into it (likely simply needs a rebuild).

Happy hacking!

Pierre