[Centos-automotive-sig] Weekly update on the automotive-sig

Fri Jan 7 15:43:27 UTC 2022
Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou at pingoured.fr>

Good Morning Everyone,

First of all, we would like to wish you all a very happy new year! May it give
us the opportunity to meet with you all and see our group grow and succeed :)

Here is a quick update of some of the things we have been working on this week:

* Packaging
Some of the libraries we have been using had been quickly packaged and made
available in a copr repo. We figured it was time to have another look at them,
polish their packaging and submit them to be included in Fedora and EPEL.

* A container to (re)building the kernel's RPM
We've been looking at ways to build a container with all the dependencies
pre-installed to make it really easy to (re)build the kernel's RPM.
We ended up with two methods:
  - One using OSBuild and the Makefile [1]
    This allows to build qcow2 or container images thus giving the possibility
    to use VM or container both with the same content
  - One using a more traditional approach based on a Dockerfile [2]
For both approaches, once you are running the container, you can simply:
  - get a kernel source rpm (for example:
    https://cbs.centos.org/kojifiles/packages/kernel-auto/5.14.0/30.1.el9s/src/kernel-auto-5.14.0-30.1.el9s.src.rpm )
  - rpmbuild --rebuild kernel-auto-*.src.rpm

Happy hacking,
Pierre

[1] https://gitlab.com/redhat/automotive/automotive-sig/-/merge_requests/97
[2] Location for that file is still being discussed but we can already make it
    available on this list if someone is interested/wants it earlier. Just say
    so :)