[Centos-automotive-sig] Future of the neptune image

Thu Jun 1 14:22:05 UTC 2023
Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou at pingoured.fr>

Good Morning Everyone,

When we started this SIG we looked at ways to demonstrate autosd and what it
could look like in an automotive context.
One application we quickly ran into was the neptune application developed by Qt
as an example automotive application showing a dashboard, speedometer and a few
other elements.
This served us well originally, but truth be told, we have not really done
anything with this image for a while. Today neptune no longer starts when
building the image and this ends up looking weird: we have this demo image that
is practically not maintained (because it doesn't seem to be useful to us
anymore) and that people may try but will be disappointed with since it doesn't
work.

So the question becomes: what do we want to do with that sample image?
If there is still interest in it, let's fix it and check it regularly to make
sure it remains working (e.g.: when neptune needs a rebuild because a newer Qt
landed).
If that image has served us well and is no longer of interest to us. I would
like to propose that we retire it and wish it a well and happy retirement (based
on git rm).

Looking forward to hear your thoughts on this topic,
Pierre

PS: I had sent this email on May 25th but it looks like it never reached the
list :( so here we go again :)