[CentOS-devel] Circular build dependencies in RHCS packages

Charlie Brady charlieb-centos-devel at budge.apana.org.au
Tue Aug 2 18:54:22 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Feizhou wrote:

>> If Feizhou could go to the start of the thread, he can see that there is
>> a *real* problem. It is impossible to build the RHCS packages from source
>> - unless one has the intuition to install a particular package with
>> --nodeps.
>
> I am sorry but perhaps you missed my post on the CentOS list.

I'm not subscribed to that list.

> I have built
> the RHCS and the RHGFS packages from the source rpms without encountering
> your problem and I announced the availability of the rpms there.

If you go to the start of this thread, I said:

  I'm trying to build all the SRPMS from
  http://www.linux911.cl/GFS-CENTOS4/, and have found a real dependency
  mess, including some circular dependencies.

The circular dependency problem seems to have been introduced in ccs
between 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 (ccs-1.0.0-0 does not require magma-plugins).
Perhaps you didn't encounter the problem because it wasn't there in the
version you built. The problem isn't there in the version which Karanbir
Singh has built, and published at http://rpm.karan.org/el4/csgfs/SRPMS/.

I will report the problem to RH bugzilla.

>> My complaint is not gratuitous. I think RedHat is great, but not perfect.
>> Just like you and me.
>>
> There is a difference between not perfect and making statements about others
> on faulty premises.

My statements do not have a faulty premise (and I do not think they were
personal, as you seem to reply). Please check facts before casting
aspersions. Perhaps if you just take a few deep breaths and relax ...

---
Charlie