[CentOS-devel] Rebuild of glibc fails on CentOS 4.1

Tue Aug 9 13:06:28 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 10:48 +0200, Michael Paesold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope this is the appropriate list for the given issue.
>
> I was in the process of installing Xen on CentOS 4.1, when I ran into
> the problem that I could not rebuild glibc. (Xen needs a glibc compiled
> with -mno-tls-direct-seg-refs).
>
> The problem is that I cannot rebuild glibc at all (even without any
> modifications). The build fails during checks (I think it's ntpl) and
> the build process hangs. There is a defunc ld-linux.so.2 process. If I
> kill that one, the build goes on and creates rpms, but I guess that
> glibc must be broken anyway. The check logs give me no clue what could
> have happened.
>
> The problem was already reported in the CentOS forum on 2005/6/21:
> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1159
>
> What I did was:
> * Install minimum CentOS 4.1 from ISOs
> * update the system using yum
> * install the toolchain to compile glibc
> (yum install gd-devel libpng-devel zlib-devel texinfo libselinux-devel
> gcc gcc-c++ rpm-build + deps)
> * Created an rpm-root for a regular user ("%_topdir /home/mip/rpm" in
> .rpmmacros)
> * as that user: rpm -i glibc-2.3.4-2.9.src.rpm
> * rpmbuild -ba --target i686 rpm/SPECS/glibc.spec
>
> Could you please tell me...
> * if I am doing something completely wrong?
> * if you can successfully rebuild glibc with an up-to-date system?
> * how to find out what really goes wrong here.

I can confirm this is an issue as well on my build machine (at least for
the i686 target).  Karanbir is also looking at it.

According to the forum post, it is related to the new kernel.

I will try building it on an older kernel and on RHEL.  I initially
built it on the previous kernel when Update 1 was released.