[CentOS-devel] Circular build dependencies in RHCS packages

Feizhou

feizhou at graffiti.net
Mon Aug 1 23:33:22 UTC 2005

>> xxx packages frequently contain the libraries and the xxx-devel
>> packages the C headers and what not.
>>
>> Pretty much pointless in installing the C headers without installing
>> the libraries also.
>

> Which is why *-devel packages should include the libraries. But I
> don't see why RedHat should coerce me into installing
> package-which-might-do-something-unnecessary-and-perhaps-nasty on my
> development box just so the libraries are available for package building.

Charlie,

Get lost. What difference does it make if installing xxx-devel does the
same thing as installing xxx and xxx-devel besides there being no need
for a xxx rpm?

You still install 'something-unnecessary-and-perhaps-nasty' when you
install the contains-everything xxx-devel rpm.

If you want to compile something that uses xxx, you very well NEED to
install xxx.

Separating the C headers or whatever that is needed for building into a
xxx-devel rpm allows more control on what is installed.

Are you going to blast the MySQL guys too? If you install MySQL-devel,
you will have to install MySQL-shared.

RedHat is not coercing you into anything.