[CentOS-devel] Rebuild of glibc fails on CentOS 4.1

Tue Aug 9 08:48:33 UTC 2005
Michael Paesold <mpaesold at gmx.at>

Hi,

I hope this is the appropriate list for the given issue.

I was in the process of installing Xen on CentOS 4.1, when I ran into
the problem that I could not rebuild glibc. (Xen needs a glibc compiled
with -mno-tls-direct-seg-refs).

The problem is that I cannot rebuild glibc at all (even without any
modifications). The build fails during checks (I think it's ntpl) and
the build process hangs. There is a defunc ld-linux.so.2 process. If I
kill that one, the build goes on and creates rpms, but I guess that
glibc must be broken anyway. The check logs give me no clue what could
have happened.

The problem was already reported in the CentOS forum on 2005/6/21:
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1159

What I did was:
* Install minimum CentOS 4.1 from ISOs
* update the system using yum
* install the toolchain to compile glibc
(yum install gd-devel libpng-devel zlib-devel texinfo libselinux-devel
gcc gcc-c++ rpm-build + deps)
* Created an rpm-root for a regular user ("%_topdir /home/mip/rpm" in
.rpmmacros)
* as that user: rpm -i glibc-2.3.4-2.9.src.rpm
* rpmbuild -ba --target i686 rpm/SPECS/glibc.spec

Could you please tell me...
* if I am doing something completely wrong?
* if you can successfully rebuild glibc with an up-to-date system?
* how to find out what really goes wrong here.

Thank you very much for any help!

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold