[CentOS-devel] SPARC build machines perhaps available soon

Fri Aug 19 04:04:56 UTC 2005
Pasi Pirhonen <upi at papat.org>

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 09:47:50PM -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 21:10 -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > PARI has been donated three large Enterprise servers; an E6500, and E6000,
> > and an E5500.  I am in process of arranging shipping and pickup, perhaps
> > as soon as next week.  Once delivered, I will be setting these beasts up
> > and checking them out, building drive bays, etc.
> >
> We are progressing on the sparc build right now (Pasi Pirhonen is
> working hard on it :)

I put it again here. I can't say it too often, that we (at least i) are
quite desperately needing those donated boxes/space for continuous work.

I, for example, do need my local machines for installation testing etc.
more demanding local access, but for day to day maintenance it starts
to be PITA to swich on/off machines as one could not keep all those up
and running 24/7 :P There might be critcal updates while not even near
machines at home, but you can't do anything about it as those are not
ether-wakeable etc. and witched off.

So this, for my part at least now, would be reach out to get some
suitable alpha/sparc hardware running somewhere remote location :)

ia64 would not hurt either. Those boxes tend to be humming so warm that
i just start those when i really work with those.

Another thing is, that i do have at least intention to mess up with the
rpmforge stuff too, and that would need totally different space (at
least chroots) to maintain. One just can't mess up with the core build
system and build all weird extra stuff on same space.

--
Pasi Pirhonen - upi at iki.fi - http://iki.fi/upi/