[CentOS-devel] CentOS Plus / CentOS Extras Policy

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Dec 8 02:37:42 UTC 2005

We need to work out  format / policy for pkgs built and hosted in the
CentOS Extras / CentOS Plus Testing area -> Stable repository.

One option is to move pkgs by Time-Default. Under this setup, once
announced in the centos-devel list, after 14 days the pkgs are moved
into the stable repositories. The time issue is arbitary, I feel 14 days
is 'long enough'. If its too long we can shorten it to 7 days ? Would
that give enough time to find major issues ?

Second option, would be to raise a bugs.centos.org issue for each pkg -
and ask for feedback on the issue tracker. Moving the package from
Testing to Stable would required a fixed number of positive responders.
eg. 5 people need to confirm it works ?

Third option would be to leave it upto the packager / builder to decide
when its ok to move things over from Testing -> Stable. However, in lots
of cases, pkgers are busy. And to be honest, unless the pkger thinks its
  OK, the pkg would not be in Testing anyway. I prefer if other people
were to be involved in the test process as well.

Suggestions ? Comments ?