[CentOS-devel] mysql5 and friends now available in the testing repository.

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Dec 5 15:23:48 UTC 2005

Anders F Björklund wrote:
> Jim Perrin wrote:
>
>> MySQL5 and associated packages are now available in the c4-testing
>> repository for i386 and x86_64. It should be fully compatible with
>> current centos4 packages requiring mysql, such as php-mysql etc.
>> Feedback is appreciated.
>

> Q:
> What is the main benefit of running these packages (incl. the old),
> over running the vendor RPM packages available from dev.mysql.com ?
> Is it a MySQL "Community Edition" versus "Red Hat Edition" thing ?

the main benefit would be to have this s/w in a yum repository - and to
have it updated for bug fix's and security updates  ( perhaps not as
much or as fast as the core pkgs would be - but you will not be left
dangling with these pkgs either )

> On a side note, I have made a similar "pq3" package for upgrading
> from PostgreSQL 7.x to PostgreSQL 8.x - how would I go about to
> submit this RPM as an enhancement package to the CentOS project ?
>
> (it provides the old /usr/lib/libpq.so.3, for package compatibility)

Excellent!

Upload the .src.rpm's somewhere on the net and drop an email here to the
list. What we might also need, along with this package, is the entire
pgsql rpm set - so that people can just enable the repl, and yum update
to pgsql 8.

- K