[CentOS-devel] CentOS Plus / CentOS Extras Policy

Jim Perrin

jperrin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 03:20:07 UTC 2005

On 12/7/05, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> We need to work out  format / policy for pkgs built and hosted in the
> CentOS Extras / CentOS Plus Testing area -> Stable repository.
>
> One option is to move pkgs by Time-Default. Under this setup, once
> announced in the centos-devel list, after 14 days the pkgs are moved
> into the stable repositories. The time issue is arbitary, I feel 14 days
> is 'long enough'. If its too long we can shorten it to 7 days ? Would
> that give enough time to find major issues ?
>
> Second option, would be to raise a bugs.centos.org issue for each pkg -
> and ask for feedback on the issue tracker. Moving the package from
> Testing to Stable would required a fixed number of positive responders.
> eg. 5 people need to confirm it works ?
>
> Third option would be to leave it upto the packager / builder to decide
> when its ok to move things over from Testing -> Stable. However, in lots
> of cases, pkgers are busy. And to be honest, unless the pkger thinks its
>   OK, the pkg would not be in Testing anyway. I prefer if other people
> were to be involved in the test process as well.
>
> Suggestions ? Comments ?

Ideally some combination of time/feedback would seem to be the way to
go. My fear is that  if we require people to give feedback about
something that's working, it won't happen and the package will rot in
testing. 14 days is fine for moving things over I think, assuming no
negative feedback is given.

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT