[CentOS-devel] mysql5 and friends now available in the testing repository.

Mon Dec 5 17:13:58 UTC 2005
Anders F Björklund <afb at algonet.se>

Karanbir Singh wrote:

>> On a side note, I have made a similar "pq3" package for upgrading
>> from PostgreSQL 7.x to PostgreSQL 8.x - how would I go about to
>> submit this RPM as an enhancement package to the CentOS project ?
>> (it provides the old /usr/lib/libpq.so.3, for package compatibility)
>
> Excellent!
>
> Upload the .src.rpm's somewhere on the net and drop an email here to
> the list. What we might also need, along with this package, is the
> entire pgsql rpm set - so that people can just enable the repl, and
> yum update to pgsql 8.

It's based on the original postgresql package, so for that I used:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos-4/4.2/os/SRPMS/postgresql-7.4.8
-1.RHEL4.1.src.rpm

The new spec file for the compat lib can be found at this location:
http://www.algonet.se/~afb/rpm/pq3.spec

Also needs a similar package for CentOS 3, using the 7.3.10 RPM (still
TODO)
http://mirror.centos.org/centos-3/3.6/os/SRPMS/rh-postgresql-7.3.10
-2.src.rpm

And for the updated PostgreSQL 8.x RPMS, I used the vendor's packages:
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/
(there are SRPMS in there too, despite the "binary" directory name...)

BTW; I'm pretty sure you need to do a full database dump before
doing such a major upgrade, but it's been a while since I tried.

But the PostgreSQL documentation should say all about that issue.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ.html#item3.6

--anders