[CentOS-devel] hi & submission of updated initscripts rpm

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sat Apr 29 13:03:19 UTC 2006

Jethro Carr wrote:
> hi all,

hello!

> Briefly about me - I'm interested in becoming involved in helping to
> develop CentOS (such as removing RH trademarks from new packages, and
> adding extra packages.)

Excellent!

> I have experience with developing distros, from when I developed my own
> distro called "Jedo Linux".
> http://www.jethrocarr.com/index.php?page=projects/jedolinux/jedolinux.php

ouch, lfs based form source :(

> I've made a modified version of the initscript package. This adds
> support for using dm-crypt encrypted filesystems on boot.
>
> It allows encrypted swap, and encrypted storage directories. However,
> it's not really designed for having an encrypted root filesystem
> (although it could possibly be adapted without too much hassle).
>
> I have a source RPM available here:
> http://www.jethrocarr.com/packages/SRPMS/initscripts-7.93.24.EL-1.1.1.centos4.jethrocarr.src.rpm

can you post a diff -u .patch for the buildroot ? or do it for Source
and one for .spec

> I wasn't sure what to name it, so I added a .1 and my name to the
> release name. Feel free to change this to suit if you do decide to add
> it to one of the repos. :-)

look at some of the .specs from the centosplus repo ( which is where
this package will head into, if accepted. ) - specially look at the
?dist tag added in Release:  the buildsystem will replace those
DistTag's to make some sense automatically.

> Usage details and configuration for the encrypted filesystems are
> in /etc/sysconfig/enc-fstab.

One thing that is important is that for packages you do submit mod's for
- do you intend to keep maintaining them and ensure that any security /
bug fix related errata from upstream / developers is incorporated in a
timely fashion ?

( not sure how relevant that would be here, since dm-crypt and
cryptsetup is already in the distro and tracked from upstream )