[CentOS-devel] PhpMyAdmin in testing repo

Greg Swallow - SkyNet

gregswallow at skynetonline.ca
Tue Apr 4 17:49:32 UTC 2006

Jim Perrin wrote:
> I took a look at Remi Collet's package. He's got some interesting
> scripts in the spec file. They attempt to set up the pma_* db and
> tables for you in mysql. I'm not sure I like the idea of an rpm
> install/upgrade operating directly on a (production) database. It
> might very well be harmless, but it just doesn't give me warm fuzzy
> feelings.

Yes, it's not an rpm that you could include on a CD install, that's for
sure.  I think the Fedora Extras rpm will be, I haven't really looked at it
yet though.

Those scripts aren't even necessary if you use auth_type = CONFIG, as I have
always used.

>From the docs:
For 'HTTP' and 'cookie' modes, phpMyAdmin needs a controluser that has only
the SELECT privilege on the mysql.user (all columns except "Password"),
mysql.db (all columns), mysql.host (all columns) and mysql.tables_priv (all
columns except "Grantor" & "Timestamp") tables.
You must specify the details for the controluser in the config.inc.php file
under the $cfg['Servers'][$i]['controluser']&
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['controlpass'] settings.

Greg